Our "Scoring System"

A note about what our scores mean:
5 - Wine your kids buy for you
6 - Would drink. Jug wine. Good for parties and your kids!
7 and above - Good for ANYTHING. Would recommend to friends. The higher the better!

And for PAIRINGS the scores mean:
0 = Wine tastes best alone
1 = Wine tastes best with food #1
2 = Wine tastes best with food #2

About Me

My photo
This blog started because we needed a tenor in the church choir... Bob, Karen and I told Mike that if he joined the choir we would go out after practice every Thursday for drinks and appetizers. After a while we decided that it would be more fun (and less expensive!) to take turns hosting a "wine & cheese" night. Then Bob had the brilliant idea to "Taste the Vine" in alphabetical order. We started with Cabernet Sauvignon. The rules were simple: 1) The wine had to start with your designated letter, and 2) the bottle had to be covered up so we didn't know what we were drinking. I decided to write down our scores so that we would know which wines we liked the best....then was "forced" into writing a blog so that we could share our "finds" with our friends. So, enjoy!!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

'I' like at least one of these!

Thursday May 5, 2011 Cinco de Mayo!
Hosted by Karen & Bob
Five “guest” tasters are under 30. One guest is from South Africa.





  1. Il Bastardo Sangiovese 2009 Rufina, Italy
    Bob 5, Karen 6, Mike 7, Becky 7, Lauren 6, Dane 7.5, Kara 6, Claire 7, Jess 6
    Karen: “It doesn’t smell bad. Very Mild”
    Bob: “Ear tickle”
    Mike: “I like it”
    Lauren: “It smells like maple syrup”
    Claire: “It hurts my nose”
    Jess: “Tart”
    Kara: “It’s a fairly dry wine”
    Dane: “Tastes like chicken”
    Becky: “Dry on my tongue”


  2. Iron Stone 2009 Vintage Lodi Appellation Cabernet Franc
    Bob 4, Karen 5, Mike 6, Becky 5, Lauren 7, Dane 4, Kara 5, Claire 5, Jess 7
    Mike: “Sweet. No bitter after taste. Growing on me.”
    Lauren: “I like it. Much smoother.”
    Dane: “Yucky. Sweet & gross.”
    Bob: “Fruity. Bland. Like a Pop Tart.”
    Karen: “Too fruity”
    Claire: “I don’t like it. An angry wine.”
    Becky: “Definitely fruity”
    Lauren: “It’s all right. I don’t think it’s that bad!”


  3. Indian Wells Chateau St Michelle 2009 Columbia Valley, Washington
    Bob 7, Karen 7.5, Mike 7, Becky 7.5, Lauren 7, Dane 7.5, Kara 6, Claire, 7, Jess 7
    Bob: “Much darker. Dark red wine. Plummy…NOT plumpy like me.”
    Karen: “This is dark. I like this so far. Smells good! This IS good!! Currents.”
    Dane: “Not bad.”
    Jess: “Oooooh, that’s smooth. I like it!”
    Becky: “Rich. I like it J”
    Lauren: “Smells like popcorn”
    Claire: “Ek hou baie van dis rooi/swart wyn!” (translation: I really like this black/red wine!”

No comments:

Post a Comment