Our "Scoring System"

A note about what our scores mean:
5 - Wine your kids buy for you
6 - Would drink. Jug wine. Good for parties and your kids!
7 and above - Good for ANYTHING. Would recommend to friends. The higher the better!

And for PAIRINGS the scores mean:
0 = Wine tastes best alone
1 = Wine tastes best with food #1
2 = Wine tastes best with food #2

About Me

My photo
This blog started because we needed a tenor in the church choir... Bob, Karen and I told Mike that if he joined the choir we would go out after practice every Thursday for drinks and appetizers. After a while we decided that it would be more fun (and less expensive!) to take turns hosting a "wine & cheese" night. Then Bob had the brilliant idea to "Taste the Vine" in alphabetical order. We started with Cabernet Sauvignon. The rules were simple: 1) The wine had to start with your designated letter, and 2) the bottle had to be covered up so we didn't know what we were drinking. I decided to write down our scores so that we would know which wines we liked the best....then was "forced" into writing a blog so that we could share our "finds" with our friends. So, enjoy!!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

'O' my goodness! Another Top Ten cabernet!

Thursday June 30, 2011
‘O’ hosted by Bob & Karen



  1. Black Opal 2009 South Eastern Australia
    Bob 4, Karen 2, Mike 4, Becky 3, Lauren 5, Kara 2, Dane 2
    Karen: “Smells like paint. I don’t like this. I don’t think I’m going to drink it.”
    Bob: “I don’t think it’s that bad.”
    Kara: “Smells like spackle.”

  2. Opera Prima 10 - Produce of Spain
    Bob 5, Karen 4, Mike 4, Becky 4, Lauren 3, Kara 2.5, Dane 3
    Mike: “Fruity. Like black currants.”
    Lauren: “I don’t like this one. Watery.”
    Karen: “Fruity.”
    Bob: “Juicy. Body-less.”

  3. Oberon 2008 Napa Valley
    Bob 6.5, Karen 6.5, Mike 5, Becky 5.5, Lauren 4, Kara 6.5, Dane 7
    Karen: “Oakey. Dry. Woody.”
    Bob: “I like it woody. Lots of tannins.”
    Dane: “Best one of the night so far.”
    Becky: “Smells like citronella. Dry.”

  4. Le Serre Nuove dell Ornellaia 2008 Bolgheri $63!!!!!
    Bob 7, Karen 8, Mike 5, Becky 6.5, Lauren 4, Kara 6, Dane 5
    Mike: “Strong taste.”
    Karen: “Less woody than the last one.”
    Kara: “I don’t like the smell, but I like the taste.”
    Bob: “Different. Woody.”

  5. White Oak 2007 Napa Valley
    Bob 8, Karen 8, Mike 7, Becky 7, Lauren 8, Kara 8, Dane 7
    Mike: “I like the smell.”
    Bob: “Fresh and satisfying smell.”
    Karen: “A bit of a bite.”
    Becky: “Vanilla”

No comments:

Post a Comment